Princess Theatre and Earl Arts Centre
The theatre was originally built for Mr Marino Lucas, a vaudeville entrepreneur from Hobart. On opening night in 1911 the backstage area was still to be completed so silent films were shown. This proved to be so lucrative that the Theatre operated as a cinema until 1970.
In 1970 Council bought the Princess Theatre, which opened as a live venue (its original purpose) to great fanfare on 16 November that year with a gala performance by the Australian Ballet.
It is an intimate, black box theatre, which opened in 1993. The centre was built through the combined effort of the Launceston community, local, State and Commonwealth Governments.
With its usual configuration of 191 seats, the Earl Arts Centre is suitable for a range of smaller productions.
The Princess Theatre and Earl Arts Centre are both managed by Theatre North, an independent, non-profit organisation, established in 1995 and supported by the State Government and Launceston City Council.
To find out more about the history and upcoming events at the Princess Theatre and Earl Arts Centre, visit the Theatre North website.