Parking in Launceston
The Launceston City Council manages a number of car parks throughout the city centre as well as metered spaces on the streets. Council officers patrol these areas regularly.
1 hour meters $2.30 per hour
3 hour meters $1.80 per hour
9 hour meters $0.70 per hour
Most meters have been updated to our new machines which have all the information for the user.
Accessible parking bays - Map
There are a number of accessible parking bays available with varying lengths of stay, within the Central Activities District in Launceston. The bays and times are detailed in this map.
On-street parking at Launceston General Hospital
The area around the LGH has restricted parking so that people who have appointments at the LGH or residents of the area have somewhere to park.
There are bike racks in our Paterson St West Car Park near the ticket booth, the Inveresk Car Park near the Queen Victoria Museum and Art Gallery and at the back of the Academy for Arts and Architectural area. There are also areas on the street for bike parking.
The Council is responding to the community’s feedback. We are in the process of initiating projects identified in the Parking and Sustainable Transport Strategy. One of the projects identified during the public consultation process was that there should be more designated parking for motorcycles/scooters. The motorcycle parking spaces that were introduced in October 2010 have been very well received.
So far, there have been 59 motorcycle spaces installed "on street". These spaces are in:
- St John Street (between Cimitiere and Cameron Streets)
- Charles Street (between York and Elizabeth Streets)
- Paterson Street (between St John and George Streets)
- Paterson Street (between Charles and Wellington Streets)
- York Street (between Wellington and Bathurst Streets)
- York Street (between Charles and Wellington Streets)
- Brisbane Street (between George and Earl Street)
- Cimitiere Street (between Tamar and George Streets)
- St John St (Cimitere and William St)
- St John St (William and Esplanade)
- William St (St John and George St)
- Paterson St (Charles and St John St)
- Charles St (o/s LGH)
- St John St (York and Elizabeth St)
- George St (Cameron and Cimitere St)
- Brisbane St (Earl and Tamar St)
- Brisbane St ( Wellington St and Kingsway)
There are 16 dedicated motorcycle bays in the following off street car parks:
- Paterson East
- Paterson West
- Cameron Street
- Elizabeth Street
- Windmill Hill Memorial Hall Car Park (Launceston Aquatic)
There are plans to introduce more off street motorcycle bays at the following car parks:
- Bathurst Street
- Royal Park
The designated on street motorcycle parking spaces are free. Some spaces will have time restrictions and others will not. It is recommended motorcycle/scooter riders check the signage when parking as all motorists should do.
The cost to park motorcycles in the Paterson East, West and Elizabeth Street car parks is $2.00 per entry. The reason for this charge is the spaces are in secure areas and under cover.
These infringements must be paid on time or they will incur extra charges.
Unpaid infringement notices issued by the Council are enforced by the Monetary Penalty Enforcement Service under the Monetary Penalties Enforcement Act 2005. For more information, read the Infringement Notice Information.
Parking infringements can be issued under the Traffic (Road Rules) Regulations 1999, the Local Government (Highways) Act 1982 or Council By-Law No 24/2003.