Animals and pets
An amendment has been made to the Dog Control Act 2000 stating that all dogs over the age of six months need to be implanted with a microchip, to ensure all dogs can be identified if lost or stolen. Failure to do so could result in a $130.00 fine being issued.
If your dog has a microchip implanted, please contact the Council and supply the microchip number, which will then be attached to your dog's details on our Animal Register. If you no longer have the dog or if the dog is deceased we would appreciate being contacted so we can update our records.
Please call the Council's Customer Service Centre on 03 6323 3000 during office hours and quote your dogs Registration Tag Number.
Every dog over the age of six months must be registered on an annual basis. Apart from being a legal requirement, registration helps the Council to return lost or straying dogs to their rightful owners. The RSPCA or the Launceston City Council will contact you if your dog ends up with them and is wearing its tag.
1. Print and complete the registration formDog Registration Form (PDF 73KB)
2. Forward completed form with copies of any additional documentation:
Vet Certificate (If dog is desexed)
Microchip details (this is a State Government legal requirement)
Purebred papers (If your dog is purebred)
Pension card (If you have one - please copy both sides)
email to email@example.com or
mail to PO Box 396 Launceston Tas 7250 or
in person at the Customer Service Centre, Town Hall, St John Street, Launceston
4. Pay the fee
Receive your dog's registration tag
The registration tag is issued for the life of your dog. One side of the tag is plain so that you can have your dog's name and contact details engraved.
Replacement tags are available for a minimal cost if lost or damaged.
Dog Exercise Areas
A number of Council's parks allow people to exercise their dogs in these areas. Please familiarise yourself with signage before entering the park or reserve to make sure dogs are allowed in that area. There may be restrictions such as no dogs, dogs on leash or dogs off leash. In addition some parks have different time restrictions for dogs.
- Please make sure you always carry a bag to pick up after your dog. There is a $65.00 fine for not cleaning up;
- Have your dog under effective control at all times and ensure it does not bother other people;
- No dogs are to be within 10 metres of a playground, barbeque area or sporting event; and
- Dogs are excluded from areas containing significant vegetation in all reserves.