By voting you can help influence what sort of place your community will be.

Talk to other people you know and encourage them to vote too.

Almost everyone over 18, living, owning or leasing property in a Council area can be eligible to vote. 

• You can vote if you are on the State electoral roll and are resident in the Council area (you don’t have to own a property).

• You can vote if you own or manage property in the Council area but are not resident (see General Manager's Roll below), but you need to complete an enrolment form for owners/occupiers or corporate bodies.

General Manager's Electoral Roll eligibility

You may be eligible for the General Manager's Electoral Roll if: 

  • You are a resident in the Launceston municipality, but not eligible for the state electoral roll (eg you are not an Australian Citizen); or
  • You own or occupy land in Launceston, but do not live in Launceston (eg you lease a shop or own a property); or
  • You are the nominated representative of a corporate body, which owns or occupies land in Launceston.

 A voter, in an election in respect of one municipal area, has a maximum of two votes:

  • one vote is in his or her own right; and
  • one vote is on behalf of a corporate body


Enrol for the General Manager's Electoral Roll

Please complete the relevant form:

General Manager's Electoral Roll - Non Resident
General Manager's Electoral Roll - Corporate

Forms may be delivered to the City of Launceston Customer Service Centre, Town Hall or mailed to:
Manager Corporate Strategy, City of Launceston, PO Box 396, Launceston TAS 7250
Please note that forms cannot be submitted online.

Enrolment on the General Manager's Roll is not automatic. If you have recently updated your enrolment - thankyou. If you have previously registered for the General Manager's Roll in Launceston and not recently updated your enrolment, you are required to re-register using the attached forms to ensure your details are up to date.

Voting at local council elections in Tasmania is not compulsory. However, if you have an interest in your local municipal area and are concerned to see that your local council performs to your expectations, you are encouraged to exercise your democratic right and vote.

See the Tasmanian Electoral Commission for more information.

The Local Government Association Tasmania also has information on the election process.