Princess Theatre & Earl Arts Centre
The historic Princess Theatre hosts a range of performances and seats more than 1000 people. It is also used for conferences and conventions.
The theatre was originally built for Mr Marino Lucas, a vaudeville entrepreneur from Hobart. On opening night in 1911, the backstage area was still to be completed so silent films were shown. This proved to be so lucrative that the Theatre operated as a cinema until 1970.
In 1970 Council bought the Princess Theatre, which opened as a live venue (its original purpose) to great fanfare in November that year with a gala performance by the Australian Ballet.
The Earl Arts Centre is located directly behind the Princess Theatre.
It is an intimate, black box theatre opened in 1993. The centre was built through the combined effort of the Launceston community, local, state and commonwealth governments.
With its usual configuration of 191 seats, the Earl Arts Centre is suitable for smaller productions.
The Princess Theatre and Earl Arts Centre are both managed by Theatre North, an independent, non-profit organisation, established in 1995 and supported by the State Government and the City of Launceston.
Visit the Theatre North Website for more information.