Hard Waste Collection
Registrations for the 2023 Hard Waste Collection are now closed.
The City of Launceston offers residents in the Launceston municipality the opportunity to dispose of unwanted hard waste items such as white goods, furniture, old televisions etc. The hard waste collection is an annual opportunity for residents to dispose of items that cannot be placed in the regular kerbside collection.
A collection charge of $10 per registration applies, this is to help offset the cost of the program and to ensure it remains a sustainable annual service for ratepayers.
The Hard Waste Collection Day map indicates the collection date for different areas.
Registered households are encouraged to contact the Customer Service Centre on 6323 3000 prior to the indicated collection date if they are unsure as to which date their items will be collected.
Residents are reminded that only items registered with the council can be placed out for collection.
Collection Dates & Information
The 2024 collection will begin in March 2024.
View your collection date across Launceston.
Registered households are encouraged to contact the Customer Service Centre on 03 6323 3000 prior to the indicated collection date if they are unsure as to which date their items will be collected. Residents are reminded that only items registered with the council can be placed out for collection.
Residents are also reminded of the following general conditions of collection:
- Maximum weights for each item apply: two people must be able to safely lift each item.
- Maximum lengths apply: items must not exceed 1.9m in length
- The total volume of items must not exceed two cubic metres per property – this is approximately the space of an average dining table
- Any items registered for collection that have an airtight door, for example refrigerators, freezers and washing machines, will have the doors removed and placed neatly beside the item.
- Items will only be collected from those properties that have pre-registered for the service
- Only registered items will be collected
- Residents are to place items out for collection no earlier than the evening before their scheduled collection date and no later than 6am of their collection day.
Items which fail to meet these conditions will not be collected. Items which will not be collected as part of this service include asbestos (or any hazardous waste), tyres, gas bottles, loose rubble or fill, green waste, food waste, mattresses, liquids and broken glasses.
Terms and Conditions
By requesting a hard waste collection all registered residents agreed to the terms and conditions listed below:
- Items must be placed out no earlier than the day before the collection and no later than 6am of the morning of the collection
- Items will be placed out for the scheduled collection day
- Items left for collection must be able to be easily lifted by two people and must be less than 1.9 metres in length
- Any items registered for collection that have a door, for example, cupboards, refrigerators and washing machines, will have the doors removed and placed neatly beside the item
- No hazardous or prohibited items will be left out for collection. Items that will not be collected include:
- tyres and engine blocks
- green waste (including tree branches, tree stumps and lawn clippings)
- liquids (including paint, chemicals and oils)
- broken glass
- gas cylinders
- loose rubble (including bricks)
- Items will not be collected from within properties boundaries or inside fences, porches, or any location other than the nature strip or footpath immediately adjacent the property.
- Items will be collected on the scheduled collection day even if it is raining.
Please contact us if you have any questions about Council's Hard Waste service.
What we don't pick up
- Bricks, rocks, dirt, pavers, concrete, panels and sheets of glass
- Motor vehicle parts, tyres and batteries Paints
- Mobile phones Gas bottles
- Asbestos, liquids, chemicals, motor and cooking oils
- Ammunition, explosives, flares and fire extinguishers