Applying for a Development Application

A Development Application may be required for the use or development of land. A successful application will result in a planning permit. Please note building and/or plumbing permits may also be required.  

The requirement for a planning permit will depend on the zoning of the land, codes and special area plans that apply to the land. Zones, codes etc can be checked through the Interim Launceston Planning Scheme 2015.

To assist you in preparing a Development Application, our Planning Services Department encourages pre-lodgement discussions.

By talking to us early in the planning process, we can assist you with the project design and provide important information up front. If you would like to speak with a Town Planner, you can either:

  • Email
  • Call our Planning Hotline on 6323 3220 to speak with the duty planner between 10am - 4pm
  • Drop-in to our Customer Service Centre and speak with the duty planner between 10am - 1pm.
  • Appointments are available on the hour at 1pm2pm3pm or 4pm - you can book an appointment with a Town Planner HERE.


The fees for the application are dependent on the status of your application and the value of the proposed works. Similarly, the time taken to assess your application depends on the status and complexity of your project. Fees associated with Development Applications and associated issues can be found here(PDF, 907KB).   

A Development Application can be lodged online. Alternatively, you may lodge your application in hard copy at the Customer Service Centre, providing a completed Development Application Form(PDF, 190KB).

This checklist(PDF, 311KB) identifies documents and information that may be required when lodging your application.

Apply for a Planning Permit

Online: Apply via e-Services


Mail: PO Box 396, Launceston TAS 7250

In Person: Customer Service Centre