Dogs above the age of six months must be registered annually in our municipality. This is not only a legislative requirement but it helps us return lost or stray dogs to their rightful owners. The annual fee which owners must pay will vary depending on factors such as the dog's reproductive status. We also offer a one-off lifelong fee for dogs that are desexed and microchipped.

Dog registration renewal

In June each year, registered dog owners in the municipality receive a renewal notice in the post or nominated email.
Owners must then follow the instructions and pay the relevant fee by July 1, and will not receive a reminder notice.
Penalties may apply if fees are not paid by the due date. 

You can pay your dog's registration renewal by BPay (via your bank's online services), by credit card, or by contacting us.
Please ensure you have your renewal notice handy.

Life-long registration is now available

2018/2019 lifelong registration fees are $105.00 for a desexed dog or $320.00 for an entire dog (not-desexed).
To change the registration of your existing dog from annual to lifelong, or for further information and eligibility please contact us

Register your new dog

1.  Print and complete the registration form: Dog Registration form(PDF, 74KB)

2.  Find copies of any applicable, additional documentation:

      Vet Certificate (if the dog is de-sexed)
      Microchip details
      Purebred papers
      Pension card (both sides)
      Kennel club registration (if registering as a purebred dog)
      Tasmanian Canine Association membership (if registering as a TCA dog)

3.  Submit your registration form and documentation by one of the following:

      Mail: PO Box 396 Launceston Tas 7250 or
      In person: Customer Service Centre, Mon-Fri 8.30am-5pm or at the RSPCA

4.  Once the paperwork has been reviewed, you will be issued a fee to pay.

5.  Receive your dog's lifetime registration tag and place on your dog's collar. One side of the tag is plain so that you can have your dog's name and contact details engraved if you wish.  Replacement tags are available for a minimal cost if lost or damaged.

If you no longer have the registered dog or if the dog is deceased please contact us so we can update our records and avoid issuing you with fines.  

Change of address

Please let us know if you change address to ensure the correct delivery of your renewal notice. You can contact us or complete and return this form.

More information

For information on the responsibilities of dog ownership and details of strays, please see Councils Dog Management Policy(PDF, 14MB).

See our Parks section for where to take your dog for exercise. There are many parks that have off-lead areas for your animal to run around and meet some friends.

Keeping more than two dogs

Puppy dog in kennel


If you own more than two dogs, you must apply to Council for a licence.

Download an application form for a licence to keep several dogs or contact the Customer Service Centre. All applications require a 'notice of intention' to apply for a licence to be published in the local newspaper by the dog owner.

Once Council has received your application a Regulations Officer will conduct a licence inspection on your property.

Upon approval and payment of associated fees, the applicant will be granted a kennel licence.

Holders of licence to keep several dogs are required to comply with the requirements of the Dog Control Act 2000 and failure to do so may result in the cancellation of a licence and fines.


The Dog Control Act 2000 states all dogs above the age of six months need to be implanted with a microchip, to ensure all dogs can be identified if lost or stolen. Failure to do so could result in a fine being issued.

If your dog has a microchip implanted, please contact the council and supply the microchip number, which will then be attached to your dog's details on our Animal Register.

Ensure that you also contact your microchipping company and/or vet clinic when you change address or contact details.  

Please contact our Customer Service Centre and quote your dog's Registration Tag Number. 



There are many training programs for dogs around Launceston which see them disciplined and become even better, well-behaved companions.

Here are a few organisations that run regular dog training:

See our Parks section or Dog Walking Map for where to take your dog for exercise. There are many parks that have off-lead areas for your animal to run around and meet some friends.


Using the nationally recognised program, Delta Dog Safe, our Animal Control Officers visit primary schools around the municipality to teach children how to treat animals and stay safe around them.

The program teaches children to recognise frightened, angry and even happy dogs and how to react if approached by any of these types.

Since the program was introduced in 2004, we've educated almost 13,000 children.

This service is free to all schools, community groups or any other organisation operating within the Launceston municipality. Out of hours presentations can also be made on any dog control matters or issues.

If you would like to be involved, please contact us

Dangerous dogs

There are dogs in our community that become a serious threat to people and other animals.

These animals must be dealt with appropriately and safely by our Animal Control Officers.

If you are concerned about a dog, please call our Customer Service Centre in business hours. If your concern arises outside business hours, call the Council after hours number, 6323 3333 or Tasmania Police on 131 444.

Barking dogs

The Council can help residents if they are concerned with barking, attacking, straying or nuisance dogs.

If safe and practicable to do so, try approaching the owners of a nuisance dog and discussing the issue to try and resolve it amicably. If a resolution isn't reached or the problem persists you should advise the owner of the dog that you will contact the Council's Animal Control Officer.

For more information please call us.

Stray dogs

We do our very best to reunite lost dogs with their owners. For our Animal Control Officers, this is one of the most rewarding parts of the job.

There are some simple things you can do to help us, like making sure your dog is microchipped and registered and your yard is secure.

If you do find a stray dog and it has a registration tag in council business hours, call us and we will contact the owner to collect the dog from you. If the owner can't be found or you can't hold the dog, our Animal Control Officers will collect the dog from you and take it to the RSPCA.  When a dog is taken to the RSPCA, it is cared for until the owner collects it or until a new home is found.

The Council does not respond to calls about stray dogs after hours.  If you find a stray dog after 5pm and before 8.30am Monday to Friday or at any time during the weekend, please do one of the following:

  • If the dog has a tag (and the RSPCA is open) - call our after hours service on 6323 3333 and quote the tag number. They will try to put the owner in contact with you so that the dog can be collected. If the owner can't be contacted, the after hours service will ask if you can keep it with you until the owner can be contacted, or if you can take it to the RSPCA. They may ask you to care for the dog until the next working day when our Animal Control Officers can come to collect it.
  • If the dog doesn't have a tag (and the RSPCA is open) - take it to the RSPCA, or keep it with you until the next working day when you can call us and our Animal Control Officers will come to collect it.
  • If the RSPCA is closed - try to keep the dog with you until the next working day. Then call us and our Animal Control Officers will arrange to come and collect it.