Image of Bees in hiveBeekeeper registration is now mandatory for all Tasmanian businesses and individuals who keep bees.

Beekeeper Registration

As part of the implementation of the Biosecurity Act 2019 (the Act), beekeeping is now considered a 'regulated dealing’ and under the Act, a person must not engage in a regulated dealing unless they are registered. Therefore, registration is now compulsory for all Tasmanian commercial and recreational beekeepers. This requirement was formalised in new Biosecurity Regulations 2022 which came into effect on 2 November 2022. 

This requirement to register under the Act extends to beekeepers who were previously registered under the Animal Health Act 1995, more information about who needs to be registered and the conditions of registration can be found on the Department of Natural Resources and Environment Biosecurity Tasmania website.

Find out more about keeping bees from the Department of Natural Resources and Environment Tasmania or the Tasmanian Beekeepers Association.

Swarm collection

The Tasmanian Beekeepers Association website provides contact details of beekeepers who are available for swarm collection. Some individuals nominate a charge for this service.  

Bee swarms are a natural part of the bee lifecycle. They occur when a bee colony splits in two, with one half leaving the original hive to find a new home. Bee swarms usually land close to their original hive site, while scout bees search for a new nest location. It is important to contact a beekeeper as soon as possible if you see a bee swarm, as they are more likely to be able to capture and relocate the swarm if it is still new.

Bee nests are places where bees have settled after swarming. Bee nests can be found in a variety of locations, such as hollow trees, chimneys, walls, and roofs. Bee nest removal can be a complex and time-consuming process, and it is important to call a qualified beekeeper to remove the nest.

What if the Council receives a complaint about my hives?

If the Council receives a complaint about your beehives, in the first instance an Officer will make contact with you to discuss the situation and see if a resolution can be reached. However, if the keeping of hives is causing a nuisance, Council can direct you to stop the problem being caused, which may require you to remove the beehives.

What if I have a problem with my neighbours’ hives?

In the first instance, if it is safe and reasonable to do so, we encourage you to discuss the issues with your neighbour first. If this doesn't provide you with an agreeable solution, you can report the issue to City of Launceston via our online form or the Snap Send Solve app.

Can I sell my honey?

Yes, however, if you wish to sell your honey either direct to consumers (e.g. at a market) or to an-other business (e.g. manufacturer), then you will need to register as a food business under the Food Act 2003. Food safety information and registration forms are available online or by phoning Council’s Customer Service Centre on 03 6323 3000.