The Albert Hall is a landmark of Launceston. The site has strong community ties and is one of the largest convention venues in the region.
TEMPORARY CLOSURE: The Albert Hall is currently undergoing work and is not accepting any bookings
The Great Hall, Tamar Valley and John Duncan rooms are hired for a wide array of events, from school balls and university graduations to antiques fairs, concerts and major conferences. There is also an adjacent cafe overlooking leafy City Park.
It was built by J.T Farmils at a cost of 14,000 pounds in 1891 to house the Tasmanian Industrial Exhibition of 1891-92. The exhibition itself was designed to ease the social misery caused by the depression of the 1880's.
The corner stone was laid by Samuel John Sutton, Esq. Mayor of Launceston on the 2nd of April 1890 and the opening ceremony in November 1891, was preceded by a parade 10 city blocks long, led by the Mayor John Gould on a white horse.
The Hall features the Brindley Organ, a rare example of the work of organ craftsman Charles Brindley and Australia's largest surviving organ predating 1860.
Made of local timbers including Blackwood and Huon pine and lined with kangaroo skin, the organ was transferred to the Albert Hall in 1892 and later powered by water.
For enquiries, please contact our Customer Service Centre