The City of Launceston works with various organisations throughout the year to celebrate the achievements of individuals, organisations and businesses within our municipality.
The City of Launceston will present Community Recognition Awards to local residents who have demonstrated outstanding service to the community. The Community Event of the Year Award will also be presented to the person or group which has staged the most outstanding community event during the year.
There are four award categories:
- Citizen Award
- Young Citizen Award (under the age of 27 on 26 January the following year)
- Sports Award
- Community Event of the Year Award
The community can nominate a person or group who they think has contributed significantly through their work in our community.
Nominations close 5pm on Friday, 29 November 2019.
A public citizenship ceremony is held 26 January at the Albert Hall. For more information about citizenship, please visit the Australian Government website, http://www.homeaffairs.gov.au
2020 awards are temporarily on pause due to the COVID19 pandemic, further announcements will be made in the coming months.
Have you, your school, or your business made an effort to change the way you manage your waste? The Northern Tasmanian Waste Management Groups 'Waste NoT Awards' is back for another year in 2019 and will be open to schools, individuals and organisations who have improved their waste management practices during the 2018/2019 financial year. From recycling to re-invention, upcycling, and education initiatives, the Waste NoT Awards recognise and reward your efforts for re-thinking your waste.
Visit rethinkwaste.com.au for more information and updates
Applications for the 2020 City of Launceston Volunteer Recognition Awards are now open
The City of Launceston Volunteer Recognition Awards are held in conjunction with National Volunteer Week from 18-24 May 2020 and recognise the outstanding contribution that individuals and organisations make to the Launceston community.
In 2020, there are three award categories available for nominations:
- Hours of Service Nomination: Organisation - for clubs, service organisations and other community groups who have collectively provided 100 hours or more of voluntary service to the Launceston community in 2019.
- Outstanding Achievement Nomination- for individuals or community groups/organisations that have provided outstanding voluntary service to the Launceston community. Outstanding Achievement Award nomination categories include: Arts, Culture and Heritage, Sport and Recreation, Environment, Conservation and Animal Welfare, Community, Health and Education, Community Safety and Emergency Services.
Nominations close 5:00pm Friday 24 July, 2020.
Volunteer Recognition Awards information(PDF, 44KB)
Due to the increasing restrictions in place due to the spread of the COVID-19 virus, the City of Launceston's Heritage Snap! photography awards for students will be postponed until later in the year.
It is likely that entries will now close in August or September and hopefully by then we will be able to run the exhibition and presentations, just a few months later than originally planned.
If you need any further information about the awards, or would like to make suggestions considering the changing circumstances, please call Fiona Ranson on (03) 6323 3370 or email email@example.com.
Heritage Snap! Junior photography awards
This exciting competition is open to school aged students, and will be divided into three sections for judging: Primary School; Grade 7–10; and Grade 11–12 students.
What’s it all about?
• Raising the profile and understanding of the significance of Launceston’s historic cultural heritage.
• Promoting our heritage environments and attributes in a relevant and contemporary way.
• Highlighting the depth of Launceston’s built heritage by focusing on specific details and attributes often overlooked.
• Inspiring our young people to take an interest in and get involved with our built heritage.
This year’s theme
This year’s theme is ‘Should I stay or should I go?’ Generally we want to see our built heritage retained, but we also understand that some structures are valued more than others, and some may have ‘seen better days’. We would love to see your photos of places in and around Launceston that interest you and hear whether you believe they should be kept as they are; repaired or altered in some way; or removed and replaced. Most importantly, we would like to hear why.
These places might include whole buildings, groups of buildings, or other structures. Or it may just be a small part of one of these; highlighting whatever it is that makes the subject important or special to you. We encourage you to explore the city and photograph these important places, and request that parents and/or teachers be responsible for the safety of children in the city.
Click here to enter Heritage Snap!
What you need to enter:
All entries must include a photograph (high quality digital submission preferred) and a brief written description of the image, explaining why the subject should ‘stay or go’.
Please ensure that all entries (maximum 3 entries per student) include your name, age, grade, school and an email address so we can contact you.
How to enter:
This year entry is via the City of Launceston webpage where entries must be uploaded using the online form.
If you do not have access to the internet, or the online form, or have any other questions in regard to entering, or entry requirements, please contact Fiona Ranson by calling 6323 3370, or emailing: firstname.lastname@example.org
The closing date for submissions to Heritage Snap! is 4pm Thursday 30 April 2020.
The City of Launceston will reserve the right to use any images submitted to the Heritage Snap! competition on any promotional materials
Entries will be considered by the members of the Launceston City Council Heritage Advisory Committee and relevant experts as required. The judges’ decision will be final and no correspondence will be entered into.
Winners will receive a certificate and prizes as follows:
- Primary School section – a framed print of the winning image and a photographic voucher
- Grades 7–10 section – a framed print of the winning image and a photographic voucher
- Grades 11–12 section – a voucher for photographic equipment to the value of $500
- People’s Choice Award
Announcement of Winners
The announcement of awards in all categories will be made at an awards ceremony to be held at 4pm on Thursday 28 May 2020 at Macquarie House (basement), Civic Square, Launceston.
Winning images and competition entries will be on public display as a digital exhibition through the Council’s website, facebook and Instagram pages, and may also be included in a gallery exhibition.
- Entries Open: Friday 13 March 2020
- Entries Close: 4pm, Thursday 30 April 2020
- Awards Presentation Ceremony: 4 pm to 5.30 pm, Thursday 28 May 2020, Awards presented at Macquarie House (basement level), Civic Square, Launceston