The City of Launceston has a range of career opportunities available. From accounting to engineering to horticulture, we provide exciting opportunities in a range of indoor and outdoor roles.
We know that it is important for people to work in an organisation that provides more than just a job. Meaningful work, the capacity to balance life's priorities and the opportunity to develop and grow professionally and personally are recognised as fundamental needs for our workforce. We offer our employees a stimulating and creative work environment, plus a host of attractive and progressive benefits.
The City of Launceston is also an Employer of Choice, meaning we've been recognised by the Tasmanian Government as one of 117 local workplaces with outstanding ability to attract and retain skilled employees.
From the 9 December 2019, the organisation will evolve to become an agile organisation.
A new organisational structure will support this change and will feature four (4) Networks of teams. These Networks will improve collaboration, engagement, and communication in a dynamic way and will provide more equitable distribution of work across the organisation.
Each network will be led by a General Manager who reports directly to the Chief Executive Officer (CEO). The General Managers will be supported by a strong leadership structure of Senior Managers and Team Leaders.
These Networks are:
- Organisational Services - is a network of teams, which deliver the services internally to our organisation, including Finance, IT and Data Management, People and Culture, Governance and, Innovation and Performance.
- Community and Place - is a network of our externally focused teams, which provide services to our community, including: Community Relations, City Development, Health and Compliance, Liveable Communities and, Business Enterprises.
- Infrastructure and Asset - is a network of teams focused on the planning, maintenance, renewal and upgrade of the City's infrastructure and assets. This includes Sustainability and Recreation, Infrastructure and Engineering, Project Design and Delivery, Building Assets and Investigations and, Operations.
- Creative Arts and Cultural Services - is a network that manages and operates the Queen Victoria Museum and Art Gallery (QVMAG). With two sites in Launceston: the Art Gallery at Royal Park and Museum at Inveresk, with history, natural sciences and visual arts and design the key collections areas.
To view the Organisational Grouping of Networks click here.
- Annual leave: employees are entitled to 4 weeks (pro rata for part time employees) annual leave per year, plus leave loading.
- Additional leave: employees may request to purchase an additional two or four weeks additional leave per year to help manage family/carer responsibilities or other special circumstances.
- Personal leave (for sick and carer's leave): employees are entitled to two weeks (pro-rata for part time employees) personal leave per year, if they are unable to attend work due to personal illness/injury or to provide care for a spouse/partner or immediate family member.
- Paid parental leave: employees are entitled to fourteen weeks paid (or twenty eight weeks at half-pay) parental/adoption leave for the primary carer; two weeks paid leave for the secondary carer.
Flexible working conditions
We are committed to providing a working environment that is sufficiently flexible to meet the operational requirement and workload demands of the City of Launceston while accommodating, where possible, the needs of our employees.
Rostered Days Off
Our employees enjoy a nine day fortnight in most operational areas and a nineteen day month for all other full time employees (except for senior management).
We encourage employee development by providing monetary assistance for approved studies, which are of demonstrable value to both the City of Launceston and the employee.
Learning and development opportunities
We are committed to ensuring our employees have access to the training they require to undertake their role, while also offering opportunities for career progression.
Corporate Health Insurance
Our employees have access to discounted health insurance options through St Luke's Health and BUPA.
Free flu vaccinations are offered to all employees prior to winter.
Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
Employees have access to a free EAP service, which provides support and counselling for personal and work related issues, coaching and advice for leaders and counselling assistance for immediate family members.